Welcome to the homepage of Dalton Cricket Club.
Founded c.1884, Dalton Cricket Club is still a small, friendly and traditional village cricket club.
A lovely spot to enjoy watching and playing cricket, a frequent comment being, "Never been here before - what a lovely, picturesque ground".
The Club is in West Lancashire, halfway between Wigan and Ormskirk, and is situated on the top of a hill near Ashurst's Beacon.
From our modern pavilion (next to the Prince William Inn) the ground has superb views of the rural surroundings and distant hills.
Although a small club, we field
as well as running two websites, this one and www.daltoncc.play-cricket.com
2 Saturday teams (in the Southport & District ACL)
But being small doesn't mean a lack of success or progress:-
- We have played at our current ground since the late 1940s and in the last 16 years we have been respective league champions 6 times and lifted league KO Cups 5 times.
- In April 2009 we produced our first ECB 'Coaches Association' coach and then were awarded a 'near-maximum' 'Awards for All' grant of nearly £10,000 which led to the preparation of brand new 2-bay outdoor nets
Later on in December we were awarded £8,800 by SportEngland for ground and coaching equipment to improve even further our playing facilities.
- In 2010 the outdoor nets (May) and bowling machine (June) were in use, and by July the Club had two ECB Level 2 coaches.
- 2011 saw the pavilion completely refurbished before the arrival of a digital scoreboard and pitch covers, another ECB Level 2 coach trained up, the winning of the Pochin KO Cup, the hosting of the Leyland Trophy Final and the award of 'Clubmark' (the ECB 'kitemark' for a safe, child-friendly, and well-managed club)
- Success in 2012 - 1st XI won their league, 2nds were fourth and 3rds were second; another two ECB Level 2 coaches trained up, and the hosting of the Hampson Cup Final.
- 2013 ; 2nds won Division 4 and the Hampson ko cup; 3rds were Div 5 runners-up; club had a League Rep player (Richy Whitehead) and a defribillator was installed (with members trained)
- 2016 ; 2nds again did the double in winning Division 3 and the Hampson ko cup. Former player informal reunions were again arranged.
In spite of our successes and plans, we are still a friendly, family cricket club playing the game in a traditional way, so it was very appropriate that at the end of 2009 our experienced 'keeper, Albert Bain, won a ''Lifetime Achievement Award - for Commitment to Sport' for the West Lancashire area.
We have 6 classes of membership:
- Concessionary [Students (18+) ; Unwaged ; 65+ ]
- Juniors (U18's)
- Ex-players / Social
- Family (parents/guardians/carers of junior members) - free.
So if you're in the area during the season -
- pop 'up' to the Club at WN8 7RU (plenty of parking space)
-(Tuesday evening is 'selection + netting' night, Friday night is Junior's night)
- or ring our contacts for a chat.
- - and don't forget to look at the Owzat page for the latest news and info.