Welcome to the homepage of Dalton Cricket Club.
Founded c.1884, Dalton Cricket Club is still a small, friendly and traditional village cricket club.
A lovely spot to enjoy watching and playing cricket, a frequent comment being, "Never been here before - what a lovely, picturesque ground".
The Club is in West Lancashire, halfway between Wigan and Ormskirk, and is situated on the top of a hill near Ashurst's Beacon.
From our modern pavilion (next to the Prince William Inn) the ground has superb views of the rural surroundings and distant hills.
Although a small club, we field
as well as running two websites, this one and www.daltoncc.play-cricket.com
2 Saturday teams (in the Southport & District ACL)
But being small doesn't mean a lack of success or progress:-
- We have played at our current ground since the late 1940s and in the last 16 years we have been respective league champions 6 times and lifted league KO Cups 5 times.
- In April 2009 we produced our first ECB 'Coaches Association' coach and then were awarded a 'near-maximum' 'Awards for All' grant of nearly £10,000 which led to the preparation of brand new 2-bay outdoor nets
Later on in December we were awarded £8,800 by SportEngland for ground and coaching equipment to improve even further our playing facilities.
- In 2010 the outdoor nets (May) and bowling machine (June) were in use, and by July the Club had two ECB Level 2 coaches.
- 2011 saw the pavilion completely refurbished before the arrival of a digital scoreboard and pitch covers, another ECB Level 2 coach trained up, the winning of the Pochin KO Cup, the hosting of the Leyland Trophy Final and the award of 'Clubmark' (the ECB 'kitemark' for a safe, child-friendly, and well-managed club)
- Success in 2012 - 1st XI won their league, 2nds were fourth and 3rds were second; another two ECB Level 2 coaches trained up, and the hosting of the Hampson Cup Final.
- 2013 ; 2nds won Division 4 and the Hampson ko cup; 3rds were Div 5 runners-up; club had a League Rep player (Richy Whitehead) and a defribillator was installed (with members trained)
- 2016 ; 2nds again did the double in winning Division 3 and the Hampson ko cup. Former player informal reunions were again arranged.
- In 2018 the 1sts won the Pochin Cup in its new format (no 2nd XI cup competition, but for clubs knocked out in the 1st round of the Sandhurst Sheild).
In spite of our successes and plans, we are still a friendly, family cricket club playing the game in a traditional way, so it was very appropriate that at the end of 2009 our experienced 'keeper, Albert Bain, won a ''Lifetime Achievement Award - for Commitment to Sport' for the West Lancashire area.
We have 6 classes of membership:
- Concessionary [Students (18+) ; Unwaged ; 65+ ]
- Juniors (U18's)
- Ex-players / Social
- Family (parents/guardians/carers of junior members) - free.
So if you're in the area during the season -
- pop 'up' to the Club at WN8 7RU (plenty of parking space)
-(Tuesday evening is 'selection + netting' night, with Management Committee meetings being the first Tuesday in the month)
- or ring our contacts for a chat.
- - and don't forget to look at the Owzat page for the latest news and info.